1927 On January 20, teams of movers transport the first books from the old building, as well as from other storage facilities in the City, to the newly finished building. Throughout the winter and into the spring, Head Librarian John Ashhurst, 3rd, oversees the move. By May 25, when library officials host a preview tour of the new building for local officials, the move is complete. The press applauds the majestic new library building, which has undergone thirty years of planning and fifteen of construction.
1927 On June 2, librarians, dignitaries, and trustees officially open the new building with a ceremony on the lawn along the Fairmount Parkway. In a dramatic moment, Head Librarian John Ashhurst opens the front doors to thousands of Philadelphians. The public fills the grand entrance hall, climbs the marble staircase, and tours the majestic new library. Throughout the day and well into the night, visitors marvel at the structure, one of the most spacious and dignified in the nation.