"Maryland Staats Geb., Pabellon de Maryland, Pavillon du Maryland."
West of her territorial neighbor, Delaware, upon State Avenue, Maryland maintains her headquarters, immediately north of the California edifice. Tennessee is on her right; and being close under the rise of George’s Hill, the position is sufficiently elevated to overlook the grounds. The style of this house is not near so ornamental as some of the State headquarters in the vicinity. The Maryland appropriation was very moderate, and the building was not commenced until near the opening of the Exhibition. The ground plan is that of a cruciform structure. The centre is 31 ½ feet wide by 60 feet in length. The wings upon the east and west are each 30 x 31 ½ feet. At the angles of the cross are piazzas, each 12 x 30 feet, serviceable for their shade, rendering the interior apartments more pleasant and taking off from the exact appearance which the bare cruciform figure presents. The building is of two stories, the cornices wide and overhanging, decorated with ornamental sawed-work in scrolls, tracery, geometrical figures and shields bearing the State monogram and the dates 1776-1876. The centre pediment bears in large characters the word “Maryland.” The turned and carved finials give a finish to the exterior. The interior is devoted to purposes of exhibition as well as of accommodation. The central hall presents in appropriate exhibits the mineral, mining, and other productions of the State of Maryland, including coal, stone and marble, and also illustrates the fowling and fishing interests, including in the latter the oyster fishery, which is of great importance. There are models of fish-hatching houses, of fishing-rafts and buildings used in the shad-fisheries of the Susquehanna, and also of the oyster-catching material, vessels, pungys, canoes, drags, rafts, etc. A very important portion of this exhibit is devoted to showing the various enemies of the oyster which prey upon his existence – all except man, the greatest foe of all, who calmly stalks around and rejoices that he comes last. The Maryland Academy of Sciences furnishes liberal selections from its museum. The Maryland Historical Society has loaned valuable antiquarian relics, and particularly the portraits of historical worthies of the State from the time of Calvert down to the present day. On the left of the main hall are the press-rooms, intended for newspaper headquarters for correspondents, etc., likewise parlors and retiring-rooms and other conveniences, rendering this house agreeable as a stopping-place for citizens of the State, and presenting to all who may drop in something to look at of interest and instruction. Architect, Geo. A. Fredrick. Builders, S. H. & J. F. Adams. Ornamental wood-work by J. Thomas & Son; all of Baltimore. The building was erected under the special superintendence of John H. B. Latrobe, U. S. Centennial Commissioner.
1 lithograph; 12 x 22 cm.
Architect: Geo. A. Fredrick.
Removed from: Centennial portfolio / Thompson Westcott. Philadelphia : T. Hunter, 1876.
The Building, situated in a grassy field. People stroll in the foreground. Two railroad cars nearby.