Centennial Exhibition main page  
Overview
Exhibition Facts
Tour the grounds
Centennial Schoolhouse
Search the Collection
 

Tours
Whatever Happened To: Outdoor Sculpture, Fountains, Memorials

Statue of Independence
Bartholdi's Electric Light, or Freedom Enlightening the World, was moved to Madison Square in New York City, where it served to shame the people of New York into providing funds for a pedestal for the Statue of Liberty, which was finally erected in Upper New York Bay in 1886. Fifty terra cotta models of the sculpture were made during the Centennial; three remain, one of them in the collection of Drexel University.
Fountain of Water and Light
Bartholdi's Fountain of Water and Light, which greeted visitors at the main entrance, was moved to Washington, D.C. where it now stands across from the Botanic Garden at the southwest corner of Independence Avenue and 1st Street SW. [Another view]
Margaret Foley's Fountain
The fountain that stood at the center of Horticultural Hall was stored away in pieces for a while. Some sources say it was lost, but today it stands in a corner of one of the greenhouses at the Fairmount Park Horticultural Center. [Another view]
Children's Fountain
Some guidebooks to Baltimore mention a Children's Fountain from the Centennial in the Remington neighborhood of the city between McMechan and Wilson Streets. We don't know where this was at the Centennial. It may not have been known as a Children's Fountain.
American Soldier
The American Soldier or Volunteer, the colossal sculpture outside Machinery Hall, now stands at Antietem battlefield in Maryland. [Another view]
Columbus Statue
The statue of Christopher Columbus, erected by Italian-American citizens of Philadelphia, stood near the United States Government Buildings. It is now in Marconi Plaza, near the Sports Complex in South Philadelphia. The sculptor may have been Emanuele Caroni. [Another view]
Humboldt Statue
The statue of Alexander von Humboldt by Frederick Drake, erected by German-American citizens now stands along West River Drive along the Schuylkill River south of the Belmont Pumping Station, near a more famous statue of Saint George and the Dragon which is not from the Centennial.
Catholic Total Abstinence Fountain
Still there where it always was. This ensemble by Herman Kirn (or Kern) is the largest from the Centennial, comprising a 16-ton Moses surrounded by four Catholic patriots. It stands before the Mann Music Center, which occupies the crest of George's Hill, site of a restaurant during the Centennial.
Dying Lioness
This sculpture by Wilhelm Wolff was purchased by the Fairmount Park Art Association and now stands just outside the entrance to the Philadelphia Zoo.
Pegasus Sculptures
These sculptures by Vincenz Pilz were originally created for the Vienna Opera House but were considered too large. They are still standing just outside Memorial Hall.
Richard Allen
Supposed to have been dedicated on November 3 by African American citizens of Philadelphia, the statue is noted on contemporary maps as being in front of the English Buildings. Some accounts say the sculpture was damaged in a train wreck as it was being transported from Ohio to Philadelphia. Then a granite obelisk was constructed in its place, and a portion of the damaged bust was mounted on the obelisk. No one knows what happened to the monument after that. We are still researching this one.
William Penn
Many guidebooks mention the dedication of a statue of William Penn, which would eventually be placed atop the new municipal buildings in Philadelphia. It never happened. Although there were plans for its construction, it was not completed until 1894.
Witherspoon Monument
This statue of the Presbyterian clergyman by Joseph A. Bailly originally stood a little northeast of Memorial Hall. It now stands just east of the new Horticultural Center, which replaced Horticultural Hall. Bailly also sculpted the Aurora exhibited in Memorial Hall.
B'nai B'rith Monument to Religious Liberty
This monument by Moses Ezekiel was originally placed between Memorial Hall and the Annex. Moved several times within Fairmount Park, it is now at the National Museum of American Jewish History, 55 North 5th Street.
Washington Statue
This statue stood in front of Judge's Hall. Contemporary guidebooks say it was the property of Mr. Mahlon Dickerson, an American banker in Florence, and was loaned by him to the Centennial.
Howe Monument
Maps locate a Howe Monument between Machinery Hall and the lake. Only one source identifies this as Elias Howe, the inventor of an early prototype sewing machine. Howe sued Isaac M. Singer and Company for patent infringement in the longest court case in U.S. history, and was awarded $15,000 and royalties of $25 for every Singer machine, an average of $4000 per week until 1867. He then went into competition with Singer and was awarded a gold medal for a new model at the 1867 Paris Exhibition. The Singer Manufacturing Company Building stood not far from the monument, probably within view. We do not know what happened to the Howe Monument.
The Navy
This sculpture by Larkin G. Mead stood at the west corner of Memorial Hall. It was later moved to Springfield, Illinois where it became part of a Lincoln memorial.
Portland Brownstone Portal
This was a gift from Portland, Oregon. The Philadelphia Public Art Inventory lists the sculpture as Brownstone Gate to a Footpath, attributed to Frank Furness. It was unclaimed after the Centennial and so became the property of the Fairmount Park Commission. It now stands along Kelly Drive below Laurel Hill.
Spanish Cannon
Two Spanish cannon, the Militiades and the Semiramis, cast in 1743, along with a Spanish mortar, still stand at the entrance to Memorial Hall.

 

Return to Tours

 

2001 Free Library of Philadelphia