- Moran, John, 1831-1903 - Photographer
Dock Street, west side
Dock Street, west side, opposite tobacco stores
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.
"Dock Creek extended from the Delaware River near Spruce Street as far north as Market Street at 5th. It was so called because in the early city it was the location of the public dock. Dock Street was laid out on either bank and was one of the earliest streets to be planned. Naylor's Hotel, shown here, has already been altered to accommodate a tavern on the street level. The doorway above was in better days the main entrance, approached by means of a staircase."--OPEP, p. 21.
Group of buildings with wood-framing on roof. Man standing on corner. Signs on corner building and the awning: "B. Naylor's Hotel," "Oysters," and "Tavern."
Print and Picture Collection