C.A. Brown & Co., 4th and Arch Streets
Northwest corner 4th and Arch Streets
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.
"Brown's Book Store, advertising books at half-price, was but one of a number which called themselves cheap. The poor condition of the Dutch Colonial buildings here seems in odd contrast to the cultivated atmosphere of the trades announced by the signs -- Bible Depository, Stationery and Brown's Books. A note attached to this photograph indicates that these buildings were demolished soon after the picture was taken. In the foreground is the wall surrounding the Friends' Meeting House, on the southeast corner of this intersection, which is still standing in that location."--OPEP, p. 99.
Commercial buildings and houses. In center of photograph, small building:
"Brown's Cheap Book Store," "C.A. Brown & Co. Cheap Book Store" and "Half Price Book Store." Men standing outside door.
Further up the block: "Bible Depository." Two street lamps and blurred horse-drawn carriage on street.
Print and Picture Collection