Trips to the beach are synonymous with summer. With the Jersey Shore and Delaware beaches right in our backyard, a day trip is a great way to escape the hustle and bustle of the city. Before you head off with towels and sunscreen, here are some tips to pack a day’s worth of healthy snacks for the whole family.
The night before:
· Put some water bottles in the freezer-- not only does this keep your lunch box cool, but it also keeps you hydrated. Pack one to two bottles for each person.
· Pack 100% natural juice pouches. These are great to freeze overnight, too.
· Don’t forget the spoons— the frozen juice pouches can be an icy alternative to ice cream.
· Grab-and-go, mess-free foods are perfect for the beach.
· Frozen grapes or berries are cool, refreshing snacks.
· Fruit is full of water and can help maintain hydration.
· For a protein-rich snack, pack some apple slices or celery sticks and to-go containers of peanut butter. The combination of protein in the peanut butter and fiber from the apple can keep you feeling full for hours.
· Combine your favorite nuts, seeds, dried fruits and seasoning to make your own trail mix.
· Sandwiches and wraps are great for lunch; they are easy to make ahead of time and even easier to eat. Try fresh combinations of lean proteins and veggies. A whole-wheat wrap with crisp bell pepper and cucumber strips, spinach leaves, nitrate-free turkey breast and low-fat cheese is a great option. You’ll be eating lean proteins, as well as vitamin C, potassium and fiber, all of which are important to replenish you during hot days in the sun.
Now you’re all set for a healthy day on the beach. Just be careful not to drop your lunch, or you will really have a SAND-wich.
Submitted by Cancer Treatment Centers of America at Eastern Regional Medical Center Registered Dietitians Lauren Clanet, RD, LDN, and Renee Pieroth, RD, CSO, LDN. Cancer Treatment Centers of America sponsors the Free Library's Culinary Literacy Center.