Porter ale and lager beer brewery at Fountain Green of Engel & Wolf, 1859
Tradecard containing a view of the facility at Fountain Green (Fairmount Park) for the brewery established in 1844 by Charles Engel & Charles Wolf. Includes the wash house and entrance to the vault on the lowest level of the hill, the office (middle level), fermenting and brewing building, and three-story storage house with fermenting cellar (upper level). A Columbia and Philadelphia Railroad locomotive pulling one train car passes in the foreground. Engel & Wolf purchased Fountain Green in 1849 to dig lager beer vaults to ferment and age the beer brewed at Dillwyn Street. A third-story was added to the storage house after 1855 and the plant was remodeled in 1859. The brewery ceased operations in 1870 when Fountain Green, the former estate of Samuel Meeker, was seized by the city for the park.
Digital Collection Item No: pdcp00024
Image source: Philadelphiana Collection -- Breweries, the Print and Picture Collection, Free Library of Philadelphia