R. Smith's Brewery, 1859
"Breweries in early Philadelphia were plentiful, and seem to have been concentrated for a time in the area around Market Street at 5th, and eastward to the waterfront. Robert Smith started in the business probably in the 1820s, entered into partnership with Frederick Seckel and David Pepper in 1837, and by the 1850s had his own brewery, which is shown here."--OPEP, p. 76.
The brewery along a commercial block, with barrels on front sidewalk; streetcar tracks run down the street. Sign on building: "R.Smith's Brewery" and above door: "Robert Smith."
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976. (OPEP)
Digital Collection Item No: pdcl00071
Image source: Philadelphiana Collection -- Breweries, the Print and Picture Collection, Free Library of Philadelphia