Ph. J. Lauber importer of wines, ca. 1880
Tradecard showing the three buildings comprising the Philip J. Lauber liquor and restaurant business at 24-26 South Fifth Street. The buildings, adorned with signage, include left to right: "Ph. Lauber Beer & Ale"; "Ph. Lauber Importer of Wines"; and "Ph. Lauber Restaurant" (partial view). Image also shows heavy street and pedestrian traffic. Men congregate at the doorway of the wine shop at which a horse-drawn cart loaded with wine barrels departs. A carriage, horse-drawn dray, men on horseback, and pedestrians travel in the street. Lauber added a restaurant to his business on Fifth Street circa 1877.
Digital Collection Item No: pdcc00008
Image source: Samuel Castner Scrapbook, the Print and Picture Collection, Free Library of Philadelphia