Blue Anchor Inn, 1682
Old newspaper clipping showing a wood engraving of the Blue Anchor Inn as it might have looked 200 years before. The scene shows a group of six people in a small rowboat about to alight close to the inn and being greeted by two gentlemen standing on shore. In the foreground, on the opposite bank of the creek, stand a group of four native american indians looking on.
The original Blue Anchor (shown) was a wooden structure built by George Guest in 1682, and it was here that William Penn first broke bread in Philadelphia. For 200 years it was the oldest and most distinguished tavern within the city limits.
Digital Collection Item No: pdcc00041
Image source: Samuel Castner Scrapbook, the Print and Picture Collection, Free Library of Philadelphia