Back to Exhibition

Blue Anchor Tavern by Franklin Davenport Edmunds, 1908

Blue Anchor Tavern by Franklin Davenport Edmunds, 1908

The Blue Anchor Tavern stood at Front and Dock Streets and was the first building to be erected within the Philadelphia city limits. Originally a simple wooden structure it was rebuilt in brick as the city grew. The image here is of a well-developed Dock Street with many multi-storied buildings and a thriving commercial life - very different from the same site 200 year before when it was first built.

Digital Collection Item No: pdce00847

Image source: Philadelphiana Collection, the Print and Picture Collection, Free Library of Philadelphia

share:
Back to Exhibition