The Colony of New Sweden at Fort Christina, 1638
Excerpt from "Pennsylvania 1630-1700" by Rudolph J. Walther
"The New Sweden Company was chartered and, in 1638, established The Colony of New Sweden at Fort Christina, in what is today Wilmington, Delaware. In 1643, Governor Johan Printz arrived and built Fort Elfsborg and Fort New Gothenburg at Tinicum Island, nearby today’s Philadelphia airport. A small park with a statue to Printz commemorates the location. This marks the first permanent settlement by Europeans in Pennsylvania."
Link to the full article: Copyright ©1999-2013 by the Independence Hall Association, a nonprofit organization in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, founded in 1942. Publishing electronically as ushistory.org. On the Internet since July 4,1995. < http://www.ushistory.org/pennsylvania/pennsylvania.html >
Link to image source: Swedes Log House. Del. Co. near Kellyville, item# pdcc00401, Historical Images of Philadelphia, Digital Collections, Free Library < http://libwww.freelibrary.org/hip/HIPSearchItem.cfm?searchKey=0209588315&ItemID=pdcc00401 >