Two United States Postal Services trucks parked on the City Hall apron in 1913.
Broad Street Station, the Frank Furness masterpiece, under construction at Broad and Market streets, the primary passenger terminal for the Pennsylvania Railroad in from 1881 to the 1952.
This pavement super-heater is the grandfather of today’s asphalt pavers.
The eight foot plow attached to the trolley helped keep Philadelphia’s streets clear during snow storms.
This Philadelphia Rapid Transit sprinkler car is washing City streets, with an admonishment from Dr. William Pepper, University of Pennsylvania Provost from 1881 to 1894. Dr. Pepper helped found the Free Library of Philadelphia and was active in City affairs.
Seen here, workers are building the Market Frankford El. Construction started on the El tunnel below the Schuylkill River in 1903. Eighty-five years later, SEPTA started a massive reconstruction project that lasted 15 years, and cost close to half a billion dollars.
Seen here, workers stationed on the City Hall apron are helping complete the subway system.
While PGW trucks have changed designs many times over the years, PGW continues to service 6,000 miles of gas mains, a system that serves 500,000 customers.
This 1955 photo from the Evening Bulletin shows workers repairing tracks in 1955.