Back to Exhibition

Between The Book Ends by Jerry Doyle (1898-1985)

Between 1933 and 1939 the PWA (public work administration) funded several large projects; Philadelphia’s Family Court Building was one of them, dubbed the “Palace of Justice” at the time of its construction from 1938 to 1941. Although the project provided jobs it was built while the city was in financial crisis.

The cartoon was created for Franklin H. Price, director of the Free Library of Philadelphia from 1934-1951.

share:
Back to Exhibition