Free Library of Philadelphia
1.  What turn-of-the-century Philadelphia edifice is encrusted with sculpture, took 15 years to build, and cost an inordinate amount of money?
The Smith Memorial Arch in West Fairmount Park, Philadelphia. The monument cost $500,000 to build, and was finished in 1912.

Source: ArtiQue, Feb. 10, 1994, p. 13
2.  How many parks are there in Philadelphia?
186, including Fairmount Park (which makes up 95% of Phila. parkland), Penn's original 5 squares (Rittenhouse, Logan, Center, Washington, & Franklin), and Independence National Historic Park.

Source: Phila. Inquirer, D-2, 6/15/95
3.  What is the history of the Japanese House in Fairmount Park, Philadelphia?

The reconstructed 16th century Japanese House with garden, designed by Junzo Yoshimura, was a gift made to the Fairmount Park Art Association by the America Japan Society in 1958. It replaced the 300 year old Temple Gate which was destroyed by fire.

Source: Fairmount Park, a History and Guidebook, 1974, p.46, Esther M. Klein, 917.481 K672f

4.  What is the Strawberry Mansion for which this neighborhood of Philadelphia is named?
It is a large federal house built in 1798 by William Lewis. Later Joseph Hemphill added two neoclassical wings. And yes, strawberries were grown there. It is now part of Fairmount Park.

Source: Fairmount Park, a History and Guidebook, 1974, p.77, Esther M. Klein, 917.481 K672f
5.  Who were the Hermits of the Wissahickon?
They were "The Women in the Wilderness", forty German Pietists who, in 1694, settled by the Wissahickon near Hermits Lane in Roxborough. A cave and spring in Fairmount Park are said to have been used by their leader, Johannes Kelpius, and bear his name.

Source: Saches, J.F., German Pietists of Provincial Pennsylvania, 1895.
6.  Where along the Wissahickon Creek is

"The Monastery" was originally the home of Joseph Gorgas who was a member of the Society of Brethren, or Dunkers of Germantown. He was a Dunker, and many of their baptisms were held there. It is now a part of Fairmount Park.

Source: Fairmount Park, a History and Guidebook, 1974, p.123, Esther M. Klein, 917.481 K672f

7.  How did the Charles Russo Park on Tacony Creek in Northeast Philadelphia get its name?

The park's name changed in 1967 from the Tacony Creek Park to the Charles A. Russo Park to honor him as a leader of the community. He was the founder of three important Tacony Industrial firms which provided jobs for many residents. The park includes a playground, basketball courts, and Juniata golf course and clubhouse. Its boundaries are Tacony Creek from Wyoming Avenue to Cheltenham Avenue within the city boundary.

Source: Fairmount Park, a History and Guidebook, 1974, p.143, Esther M. Klein, 917.481 K672f

8.  What is the origin of Hunting Park, which is at Old York Road, Lycoming and Wingohocking Streets in North Philadelphia?
In the 19th century it was the Hunting Park Race Course. After racing became illegal local citizens purchased the land and gave it to Fairmount Park.

Source: Fairmount Park, a History and Guidebook, 1974, p.144, Esther M. Klein, 917.481 K672f
9.  Where along the Wissahickon Creek is Indian Rock?
Indian Rock, which was where the Lenni Lanape held councils untill their departure from the area in 1764, is near where Rex Ave. would meet the Creek in the Chestnut Hill section of Fairmount Park. On it is a statue of Lenni Lenape chief, Tedyuscung.

Source: Fairmount Park, a History and Guidebook, 1974, p.124-125, Esther M. Klein, 917.481 K672f
10.  What is the history of the Valley Green Inn in Fairmount Park?
It was built in 1740, and during the Revolutionary War hosted Washington, Lafayette and Howe. It was rebuilt in the mid-19th century and still serves food. It is at Wissahickon Drive and Springfield Avenue.
11.  When was the Smith Memorial Playground in Fairmount Park built?

Mr. and Mrs. Richard Smith gave the money for this Juvenile Village, which opened in 1899. It is locally famous for its sliding-board which is 10 children wide. It is located at the Oxford Street entrance in the East Park.

Source: Fairmount Park, a History and Guidebook, 1974, p.166, Esther M. Klein, 917.481 K672f

12.  If you are driving along Kelly Drive into Center City, Philadelphia, there is a statue of a cowboy right before the Stone Bridge in Fairmount Park. Who was the sculptor of that statue?

Frederick Remington was the sculptor of the Cowboy located on Kelly Avenue near the Girard Avenue Bridge.

Source: Fairmount, Philadelphia's Park: a history, 1975, p.106, Theophilus Ballou White, 974.811 W858f

13.  Noted New York architect Stanford White designed the pedestal for what statue, and where in Philadelphia is this statue located?

Stanford White designed the granite plinth on which the statue The Republic sits. The Republic was created by Augustus Saint-Gaudens, and it is located in Fairmount Park in Philadelphia.

Source: Fairmount Park, a History and Guidebook, 1974, p.204, Esther M. Klein, 917.481 K672f

14.  What are some of the statues by Augustus Saint-Gaudens in Fairmount Park, Philadelphia?
Along Kelly Drive you can see a bronze casting of The Pilgrim. Also in the Park are his bust of President James Garfield and his allegorical figure, The Republic.

Source: Fairmount Park, a History and Guidebook, 1974, p.203-204, Esther M. Klein, 917.481 K672f
15.  Who designed the statue of Ulysses S. Grant in Fairmount Park where Fountain Drive intersects Kelly Drive?

Daniel Chester French created the figure of grant, Edward C. Potter, his horse, and the pedestal was designed by architect Frank Miles Day.

Source: Fairmount: Philadelphia's Park, 1975, p.106, Theo B. White, 974.811 W585f

16.  When was Philadelphia's Fairmount Park created?
Fairmount Park was created between 1855 and 1867 from city-owned land on Morris and Lemon Hills.

Source: Philadelphia Bulletin Almanac, 1976, p.322
17.  What is the Lenni Lenape legend about Devils' Pool, a pool in Fairmount Park in Mount Airy where the Cresheim and Wissahickon Creeks meet?

The Native Americans in this area believed that it was in this churning pool, surrounded by large up-thrusting rocks, that the Good Spirit imprisoned the Evil Spirit.

Source: Mount Airy in Philadelphia, 1979, p.3, Phyllis Knapp Thomas, 974.811 T366m

18.  What is Mom Rinker's Rock?

During the American Revolution Molly Rinker would knit atop this rock in what is now Fairmount Park. She would often drop a ball of yarn in which was a coded message for our troops. This rock is now marked by a statue of a Quaker, which bears the message Toleration.

Source: Mount Airy in Philadelphia, 1979, p.3, Phyllis Knapp Thomas, 974.811 T366m

19.  What was the Centennial Exhibition which was held in Philadelphia in 1876?
It was a fair to celebrate the Centennial, or 100-year anniversary, of the Declaration of Independence. Held in Fairmount Park on over 300 acres, it hosted 38 foreign nations and 39 States and Territories. 274,919 visited the site in one day.

Source: Morgan. City of Firsts.
20.  What is Memorial Hall?

Memorial Hall was the art gallery of the Centennial Exhibition of 1876, and it is one of the few buildings from the Exposition that still stand in Fairmount Park. It stands as a monument to the celebration of the nation's industrial achievements in the first one hundred years.

Source: Workshop of the World: A Selective Guide to the Industrial Archeology of Philadelphia, 1990, p.11:7, The Oliver Evans Chapter of The Society for Industrial Archeology, 900 W892o

21.  How did Lemon Hill in Fairmount Park acquire its name?
18th-century financier Robert Morris owned a country estate there which he called "The Hills" . In a greenhouse on the grounds he grew lemons and oranges, hence the name "Lemon Hill."

Source: Fairmount Park, a History and Guidebook, 1974, p.13, Esther M. Klein, 917.481 K672f
22.  What is the origin of the Fairmount Park Art Association?
It was founded in 1872 for "adorning Fairmount Park with statues, busts, and other works of art." Anthony Drexel was its first president.

Source: Fairmount Park, a History and Guidebook, 1974, p.26, Esther M. Klein, 917.481 K672f
23.  Along Kelly Drive in the East Falls area is a house with a sign which reads

Tiles that circled the Undine Barge Club fireplace contained representative scenes from the Rhine River's 'Legend of Undine'. The club continued the Germanic traditions by naming the up-river clubhouse 'Castle Ringstetten', the home of Prince Huldebrand in the Undine Legend.

Source: Fairmount Park, a History and Guidebook, 1974, p.57, Esther M. Klein, 917.481 K672f

24.  What building in Philadelphia houses a detailed scaled model of the 1876 Centennial Exhibition?

It is housed in Philadelphia in the basement of Memorial Hall in Fairmount Park.

Source: Workshop of the World: A Selective Guide to the Industrial Archeology of Philadelphia, 1990, p.11:7, The Oliver Evans Chapter of The Society for Industrial Archeology, 900 W892o