Opening showing records of early ownership (verso) and an initial F, with St. Jerome writing, beginning his Letter to Paulinus
The verso of this opening shows inscriptions identifying two previous owners of this Bible before it came into the hands of John Frederick Lewis of Philadelphia. The first inscription is the signature of the book collector George Livermore (1809-1865) of Dana Hill in Cambridge, Massachusetts. The second inscription by a later hand notes that the manuscript was purchased in London from the duke of Sussex in 1845.The initial on the recto begins Jerome's letter to Paulinus. This letter functioned as a prologue in most thirteenth-century Bibles.
Digital Scriptorium ShelfMark:
Rare Book Department