God the Father in Majesty with the Symbols of the Four Evangelists
This manuscript has been dated to ca. 1415-1420.
This miniature begins the Seven Penitential Psalms. The two angels in the upper corners are holding a chalice and the Tablets of the Law, representing the Old and New Testaments. The miniature was painted by the Master of the Mazarin Hours, an illuminator active in Paris ca. 1408-1420. This master is one of four, possibly five, artists who worked on this manuscript. In the later Middle Ages, illuminated manuscripts were most often produced in workshops that employed several artists. These commercial workshops developed in response to the growing demand in lay society for beautifully illuminated manuscripts.
Digital Scriptorium ShelfMark:
Rare Book Department